by Charles E Kemp
Antique Victorian church window, leaded with hand painted coloured stained glass depicting Antique Victorian church window, leaded with hand painted coloured stained glass depicting a full length figure believed to be St John. He is dress in winter robes holding a book and staff with the letters “SRQR” Senãtus Populusque Rõmãnus (The Senate and People of Rome). His sheepskin hat also bears the emblem of the SRQR with an eagle
with-in Laurel leaves. Lovely quality, no fading, lead and glass in excellent original condition.
C.E. Kempe (1837-1907) established his own studio in London, 1866, a golden Wheat sheaf was used as the firms emblem. When Kempe died, the firm was passed to his nephew Walter Tower, after which the
firm was known as C.E. Kempe & Co. Ltd and a black tower was added
to the wheat sheaf emblem. The firm closed in 1934.
Measures: 44½” high x 19¾” wide – 103cm h x 50cm w