“St Patrick – Our National Apostle”
Large church stained glass window, made up of three panels, each hand painted depicting St Patrick, patron saint of Ireland, baptising King Loegaire and receiving him into the Church, Queen Angias sits beside him. All hand painted, on the best quality colored glass, and very much in the style of Harry Clarke which the Early Studios were influenced by. Super qulity and in excellent original condition.
Removed from Convent of Sisters of Mercy, Castletownbere, Co Cork, Ireland during renovation.
Entire Window Measures: 87¾” high x 42¼” wide – 223cm h x 107cm w
The Earley family were involved with the decorative arts in some form from the 1840’s, being closely associated with A.W.N. Pugin and John Hardman of Hardman & Co. Birmingham. The Earley Ecclesiastical Studios were in existence from 1864 to 1975, providing a high standard of ecclesiastical art during the Gothic revival of the 1800s and the building of Catholic Churches which flourished in the first half of the 20th century.
At this time, the Earley studios were heavily influenced by the work of Irish Arts & Crafts artist Harry Clarke, using “Antique streaky” glass in rich deep colours, thick black paint lines, acid etching and stylised, often elongated, figures with sharp features.